So, yesterday was my first day of officially entering the corporate world. First I must say it is the exact opposite of working for Iris. I am so spoiled here I hope I don’t become a brat. I pray God will always keep me humble and help me to manage His wealth with wisdom. That being said, I have no idea why they are paying me so much to do what I’m doing.
I’ll start with the beginning of my day yesterday. Got dressed all professional. It felt like the first day of school so I had Miss Pat take a pic for me.
Walked into the office.
Some people call it the “crystal palace” It has four floors and its own security system. This is the awesome badge they made for me.
Now I can enter all the secret passageways whenever I feel like it. Then I did boring orientation stuff for a couple of hours with three other interns. Then I met my group. I am in the first delivery group which I figured out goes something like this. The land and reservoir people decide where to drill and the safety people make sure it is ok (the other boring floors). Then the awesome people on my floor do drilling and completions and then it comes to my group. My group gets the new wells up and running and monitors them for a period of time before handing them off to production. Pretty neat right? I have a supervisor, a mentor, and there are two others in this group. Also a part of First Delivery Team (FDT) are the MSOs which is an acronym for something I can’t remember but means the guys who visit the wells out in the field. So that is the basic set up for my group.
After meeting my people I got my own office! (slash cubical) With two monitor screens!
And get this one. We get lunch breaks everyday. For an hour. My mentor was very confused at my surprise at this fact. I guess it is a normal thing for most businesses. Also, we don’t have to work on Saturdays AND we get done by 4:30 everyday. It is absolutely craziness.
So I got my office and then my group went out to lunch. We went to El Rios and I got a burrito with green chili. I didn’t know about all this green chili stuff but I guess it is a big part of the culture here and it was really good. When we got back to the office I just worked on orientation stuff. Boring.
Then at 4:30 there was a gathering at a hotel of the interns and mentors for a meet and greet type of thing. Not my favorite type of thing but there was food. Ok. So it wasn’t so bad to meet a bunch of people, I might secretly have liked it a little. There were some interesting people that I look forward to getting to know better this summer.
After that I went to church. I cannot express how grateful I am to have a family here. It is absolutely amazing to come to a place and be able to just jump in and know that these people live for the same things I do. Worship was awesome and I think I am really going to love it here.
Last night I was too tired to blog, so I slept.
So….today.
This morning I got to the office at 7 and met all the MSOs and attended the well report meeting. I was completely lost for the first half hour but I caught on some and wrote down a bunch of questions which I asked the other engineer later on. Oh yeah, I haven’t met my supervisor yet because he is on vacation and my mentor was out golfing for the company so they weren’t there today. And after the meeting two of the people in my group and myself just sat in their office and talked about random stuff for about an hour. It was like a social hour break that I got paid for! Anyways, when the engineer was answering my questions one of the MSO guys stopped in and offered to show me some stuff. So we went out to his truck and he very patiently explained what must be very elementary things to me and it made sense and I was able to connect it with some of the stuff that was said at the meeting earlier. It is so exciting to me.
I can’t help but think that I got put on the most exciting floor with the most exciting group and my project is going to be pretty sweet too. I am so “pumped” to be able to go out in the field and it is just awesome for me to learn all this stuff….ok I’m sounding like a nerd but its true! I really am so very excited.
Anyways. So the morning was fun and then I went with some of the other interns and my assigned “buddy” (from a different dept. who I hadn’t met yet) to lunch at the Three Rivers Brewery. I had a really good time with them and really like my buddy and think we are going to get along great. I had a delicious burger but the only problem was that the food took awhile to get to us and certain people (obviously not myself because I scarfed it down) were slow eaters. My lunch break ended up being about and hour and 45 min. but nobody in the office cared. Actually they weren’t even there when I got back (but I had left early to go with the group) I almost feel guilty but that is the culture there. I don’t want to fall into it. I want to work hard the whole time I am getting paid to work. I just haven’t figured it all out yet.
After lunch they gave me a free t-shirt because on Fridays we wear red to support our troops.
After lunch my work was more boring stuff completing online training courses. Oh, and I did meet with my mentor for a few minutes at the end of the day. He gave me some assignments to work on for tomorrow. I have to read this book :) and memorize this diagram.
On the drive home from work I did my best to snap a few pictures for those at home demanding them but it was difficult for me to concentrate on driving but these were some of the good results.
For dinner tonight I don’t want to rub this one in but…. I had grilled steak.
After dinner Miss Pat took me around the town a little more and due to the demand I got these pictures for all of your enjoyment.
So yeah. Hope you enjoy.
LOVE the pics. Keep em coming! Loved the "first day" pic. hee hee.
ReplyDeleteLove your nerdiness too. :)
Welcome to the corporate world. I am proud of you. I read an article that was talking about the earning power of various college majors and you should be happy to know that your major was the best paying in the country. I hope you remember me when you come into your kingdom :)
ReplyDeleteMy little baby girl's growin up on me:'( oh well. glad your havin fun. love the pics. take more.
ReplyDeleteYours always......TIMMY!!!!
Love the pics. Looks like New Mexico.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you'll have days that you work super hard and don't take lots of breaks, so enjoy the easy ones while they last. :)
And enjoy the lap of luxury!
Reminds me of Arizona. So glad you're having a great time. We're really going to miss you when we're in Ohio. Andrew is very sad you won't be there.
ReplyDelete