For those of you that don’t know, I will be graduating in May 2013 from Marietta College and moving off into the world of adult responsibility. Although a little nervous I am not at all scared; I think a better word for it is excited. I know that this is where God wants me….oh yeah…..you might not know….I’m moving to TEXAS baby! Let me tell you how this all came about.
Once upon a time I was a senior in high school wondering what to do next. Looking back I realize I was clueless but that’s ok because God knew what he was doing. I decided I wanted to go to Marietta for a variety of reasons including distance from home, church family, soccer team, and size.
Great! College chosen now to pick a major. Now I was never one of those kids who had a dream job growing up, I never aspired to be a doctor or a teacher. As a matter of fact those are two things I knew I didn’t want to be; really helped to narrow the list down right? But I knew I liked math and science (weird I know) and wanted to use those skills in some way. So my soccer coach suggested I look into the petroleum engineering program. When my dad discovered a petroleum engineer’s salary he highly encouraged me to try it out (:
So I did (thank you Daddy). At my graduation party people would ask me my major and I would say “petroleum engineering” and feel all important and they would be like “Wow! what is it?” I and I was all like, “I don’t know but I’m going to find out.” Then I had to learn how to spell it. That was the real challenge.
It wasn’t really until the summer after my sophomore year when I interned with ConocoPhillips in New Mexico that I discovered what a petroleum engineer does. And I also discovered that I LOVE it! I feel like such a huge nerd when I talk about it but I am genuinely excited about my job. Obviously not every class lecture or summer project is the best thing ever, but overall I know I couldn’t have picked a better field to be in.
During my junior year I interviewed with three different companies and got four offers for 2012 summer internships (I didn’t have to interview with Conoco again). Well, I wanted to try a different company to have something to compare it to and from our campus information sessions had been most impressed with Hess Corporation. So when I got an offer from them I was thrilled.
I spent last summer in North Dakota working for Hess in the booming Bakken shale. During the summer I learned and got to see so much. Probably most importantly I realized that while Hess is a very good company and I have nothing against them, they were not a good fit for me.
I got to be home for two weeks before I had to go back to school and during that time ConocoPhillips contacted me and said they wanted to get me an offer. The thing with oil companies is they want a response fast so they know how many spots they have open when they are recruiting in the fall. They gave me an offer and less than two weeks to respond. While my mind was racing that with all kinds of doubts (this is too big of a decision to make this soon, I could interview with other companies, that is really far from home, etc…) I had and still have such an unexplainable peace that this was the choice for me to make.
So before I even began my senior year of college, I accepted a job offer from ConocoPhillips to work for them as a production engineer in Houston Texas!
I am so very blessed to be on this journey and look forward to the many adventures to be had trusting that God knows and does what is best. I know I couldn’t have chosen this path on my own.
In the meantime I also know that He still has plans for me in Marietta, Ohio and I want to walk with Him daily looking forward to the future but also living in the now.
No comments:
Post a Comment