Saturday, December 7, 2013

My first Thanksgiving Away from Home

Believe it or not, at age 22 this was my first Thanksgiving celebration away from my family.  Although I missed them a ton, it was actually a very special time for me.  Mostly because Timmy got to come visit.  So here I shall document our adventures together. 

Timmy flew in on Tuesday night and we went out to have a Nigerian dinner with Aunt Rachel’s friends from when she lived in Nigeria (also my current Houston friends). 

blurry picture but it's the thought that counts

I know what this is but if I tried to spell it I would murder it.  I know this because when I saw it on the menu I realized I had been thinking it wrong all these years. But it was tasty!

The next day Mr. Christmas decorated my apartment for me.

Yay for my little tree This is probably the coolest thing ever Mr Christmas himself

On Wednesday and Thursday we went to Dallas to adopt the Bartholomew family.  We had a great time playing with the kids, getting on the roof, eating turkey (and a bunch of other yummy stuff), and having a bonfire.

 On the way to Dallas we stopped at Woody's Smokehouse where Timmy got some good ol' Texas BBQ Such a good brother I have (note the cow in the backround)

 Such a good brother I have Thanksgiving Day Just hanging out playing games

We made a few stops on the way back to Houston. 

Cowboy Timmy

No wonder Houston is so big  

On Friday night we went to Galveston and went ice skating, went to the rainforest exhibit, and then went and watched Frozen.

Gulf Coast

 Note the number of birds on the electric lines

On Saturday we slept in, went for a walk on my trails, walked around downtown, and went to a friend’s house so Timmy could practice piano.  We ended up helping her put up Christmas lights. 

Timmy and Debbie.  There are lots of Debbies in Houston

 Tallest building downtown The same building from a different view

Art

Finally, on Saturday night we went to see the Houston Symphony perform Beethoven's 6th.  

Me and the Music Man

The next morning (if that is what you call 4 am) we got up and I dropped him off at the airport and he flew away back to Ohio.  Less than three weeks until I get to see him again!

2 comments:

  1. HOW FUN!! Are we going to have that much fun when I come in Feb?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what you wanted to spell is egussi soup with pounded yam. Not sure if my spelling is correct either, but I am a little jealous that I can't get that here! Glad you two had such an awesome time. Nana

    ReplyDelete