So I’m here in Minot, North Dakota happily unpacked and settled in. The drive here was overall fun but it took awhile. And during that time I got this wonderful sunburn on my left arm and my chocolate from Nana melted because my ac was broken. Cooler news, I saw some Bison and a Bald Eagle.
Minot is known as the Magic City- I don’t know why. North Dakota is the Peace Garden State, Flickertail State, and Roughrider State. Check out this site for more fun facts. Also, the license plates all say “Discover the Spirit”. The weather here is fine, so far it seems similar to Ohio. It is green but not as many trees and windy and flat. And the sun doesn’t set until 9:30 right now and will be as late as 11 during the summer.
So I got here last night and met Ashley, my person to live with for the summer, unloaded my car, and….slept.
This morning I unpacked my stuff and got settled in then went for a “quick trip” to the ever-so-present-no-matter-where-you-are Walmart. Well, it wasn’t a quick trip and I quickly learned some of the effects of living in an oil boom town. So I got the necessary items in about 25ish minutes and then got in line to check out. And waited for a solid over-an-hour. The reason is that there are way more people here than before and everyone wants to work in the oil field because that is where the $ is so there aren’t enough people to work the other jobs. So yeah, the ladies in front of me took turns shopping while the other waited in line. It was that bad. Anyways.
After more organizing and even making my bed I was so tired so I took a nap. When I woke up I felt the need to explore so I went for a walk and found that only a few blocks from me is this amazing soccer complex :D. At first I didn’t think anybody was there but then I discovered a small group of people playing a pick-up game. They invited me to join so of course I did and found out they are from the Air Force base and play every week.
Next I realized how hungry I was so I used my new iPhone to look up recipes and make a shopping list and I soon acquired food. Yay.
Then I looked up a church online that I plan on attending tomorrow and hope that it goes well.
Here are some pics (not all of North Dakota, just whatever I decided to share) so just enjoy them because I don’t feel like writing here anymore.
Glad you made it!!! Have a fabulous summer. Miss you:( Gramma Sue
ReplyDeleteYea!! Glad you had a good trip--so sorry the chocolate melted--I'm surprized it lasted long enough to melt!!! Yep, that pretty much looks like the ND I remember. Happy you found some people to play soccer with. And, last but not least, thanks for your post--I love reading them. Love and miss you. Nana
ReplyDelete600 cups of water? that is amazing.
ReplyDeletebummer about the AC not working.
love you
You're a nut! I'm sooooo sad you aren't going to be at the beach with us but I know you're going to have amazing adventures. Thanks for sharing them with us. I have a 'carpool' tan. One arm is way darker than the other. And why was chocolate allowed to melt? I'd have eaten that all up.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteRachel, I'm with you on the chocolate question.
ReplyDeleteHannah, it's called the Magic City because it grew so fast it was "like magic." Also, you should probably do the logical thing and Wikipedia the place. It has everything. I even know what radio stations are the cool ones. (:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minot,_North_Dakota#Sites_of_interest
I'm super-pumped you get to play soccer, that's awesome! I hope you're having fun!
ReplyDelete